April 24, 2014

SAILING THE CALDERA


Sailed the caldera, climbed up a volcano, 
swam the hot sulfur springs and visited an ancient island...



 





























A long tiring day - worth every ounce of energy I had in me.


We started our adventure early in the morning driving to Amoudi Bay  
- a port in Santorini just below the town of OIA – and let me tell you that the view of OIA from Amoudi Bay is fabulous!
From there… we hopped on a boat and sailed the caldera!  Watching the towns of Santorini on top of volcano cliffs from the Aegean Sea was out of this world! I felt like I was dreaming the whole entire time! Like, my pictures won’t do any justice - not unless I had one of those long ginormous photographer lenses then maybe I could have captured exactly what I saw.

Our first stop from sailing was an active volcano in the middle of the Aegean sea.  
 From there we hiked a good 30 minutes to the top – it was exhausting and the 77 degree weather totally didn’t help… BUT! BIG BUT!!!! When we reached the top, OMG, The view from the top of the volcano was beyond! The super blue water, the big open sea, the mountains, the volcano cliffs… EVERYTHING! I don’t even know how to explain the feeling I had when I was up there! I have never seen anything so beautiful in my life! Like, I literally felt like I was on top of the world! Plus standing on top of an active volcano was BANANAS! Amazing!

Our second stop was the hot sulfur springs near the Island of THIRASIA 
 Unfortunately I didn’t capture any photographs here because our boat stopped about 100meters away from the hot springs and from there we had to jump off the boat and swim all the way to the hot springs! First, I thought “ooooh… jumping off a boat and swimming to the hot springs sounds so fab!” NOT! It was, but let me tell you…. We jumped off our boat right, and the water was literally ice cold and the water was like a million feet deep and at that point it’s either you chicken out and get out of the water and not see the  hot sulfur springs or you brave it out and swim for your life all the way there! I decided to swim- obvies! 

After dying, like, I literally felt like I died from swimming 100meters
 I was out of breath, my chicken legs were like cramping (like literally). We finally reached the beautiful volacanic hot springs- it was so crazy to me how the water turned from ice-cold to steaming hot! CRAY! Also, there we took a mud bath… they said the volcano mud is like, amazing for your skin… It was a long and tiring swim but it was totally worth it.
p.s. on the swim back to the boat - they have to give me a life saver because my body was too weak to function. #EMBARASSING

Our third and final stop was to the ancient island of THIRASIA 
There we relaxed and ate lunch… It was the perfect ending to our day of excursions! 

Today was definitely a work out! Like seriously… we hiked up and down a volcano, swam what felt like forever in ice cold water to the amazing hot springs, had a volcanic mud bath, ate lunch on the ancient island of THIRASIA and TOTES used every little bit of energy my chicken leg body could handle – but OH, it was SO worth it!